Since Marvel’s The Avengers comes out on DVD and Blu-ray tomorrow I thought it might be nice to see what the Avengers are up to since the defeat of Loki. At the San Diego Comic-Con in July, Marvel Studio’s president, Kevin Feige, announced the titles and character information for some upcoming Marvel movies.
More announcements and developments have happened since July, so I thought gathering all the information together might be the best way to celebrate the DVD release. Plus, I always love a good list.
First up is Iron Man 3, to be released on May 3, 2013:
- The main villain will be the Mandarin played by Ben Kingsley
- Radioactive Man, real name Chen Lu, will also be in the movie, played by Wang Xueqi. It is rumored that he will be featured in a post-credits scene
- The plot will likely follow Warren Ellis’s “Extremis” storyline from the comics relating to nanotechnology
- When designs for new Iron Man suits were revealed, many guessed the Iron Patriot would be featured in the new film. However the designs are actually for War Machine, Don Cheadle’s character from Iron Man 2
Thor: The Dark World will premiere on November 8, 2013:
- Thor will be battling the ruler of the Dark Elves, Malekith the Accursed, played by Christopher Eccleston
- MTV speculated that the plot might revolve around a storyline where Malekith stole The Casket of Ancient Winters, which we saw in the first Thor movie, from Asgard
- Though it is far from confirmed, Chris Evans wants a Captain America cameo to happen
We have to wait until April 4, 2014 for Captain America: The Winter Soldier:
- The title gives away major spoilers for those who know who the Winter Soldier is—a brainwashed Bucky Barnes who has become a Russian assassin. Sebastian Stan will reprise his role and is in fact signed on for 6 movies
- The Falcon will debut in this movie, played by Anthony Mackie
- Deleted scenes from The Avengers will be explored while Steve Rogers deals with living in modern America
- Some of Black Widow’s back story may be included as she spends time in Russia with the Winter Solider in the comics
The new Marvel superhero movie, Guardians of the Galaxy, is scheduled for an August 1, 2014 release date:
- James Gunn will direct and rewrite the original script
- Thanos, who we glimpsed at the end of The Avengers, will appear
- A recently leaked plot synopsis says the movie follows “a U.S. pilot who ends up in space in the middle of a universal conflict and goes on the run with futuristic ex-cons who have something everyone wants”
The Avengers 2 is set to premiere May 1, 2015:
- Joss Whedon will write and direct the sequel
- Thanos will most likely be the main villain
- Spiderman will not make an appearance
And finally, the ultimate Avenger himself, Joss Whedon:
- He signed on to work exclusively with Marvel for 3 years
- ABC ordered a pilot for a series based on S.H.I.E.L.D., co-written by Whedon
- Whedon’s non-Marvel movie, The Cabin in the Woods, comes out on DVD on Septmeber 25
Some other things to note:
- Edgar Wright’s Ant-Man is scheduled to be released in 2014, but the hero will most likely not appear in The Avengers 2
- If the Hulk gets his own movie, it won’t be until after The Avengers 2
Personally, I’m most excited to see Christopher Eccleston as Malekith since I loved him as the ninth Doctor on Doctor Who. Although Sebastian Stan coming back in The Winter Soldier is a close second. Actually I’m really excited for all the new Marvel movies.
Which movie are you most looking forward to? Have you heard any news I didn’t mention? Let me know in the comments!